This report is a compilation and analysis of SOGIESC references made by nine United Nations Treaty Bodies in 2022 (CESCR, HRCtee, CEDAW, CRC, CRPD, CERD, CMW and CED). It examines the Concluding Observations and Lists of Issues/Lists of Issues Prior to Reporting in country periodic reviews, Treaty Bodies’ General Comments and decisions on Individual Communications.
- In 2022, all nine Treaty Bodies returned to their level of activity before the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In 2022, the nine Treaty Bodies collectively made 218 SOGIESC references in 89 Concluding Observations on 73 different States. This included five follow-up recommendations to five countries made by four Committees.
- The number of SOGIESC-inclusive Concluding Observations and references significantly increased in 2022 when compared to the indicators achieved by Treaty Bodies in 2019, a year
with regular activity, and 2020-2021 with reduced activity.
- The rate of SOGIESC-inclusive references per Concluding Observation was the highest ever (2.4) for a year with regular activity by the Treaty Bodies.
- The percentage of SOGIESC-inclusive Concluding Observations was one the highest ever (67%).
Download the ILGA World
Annual Treaty Bodies Report 2022
full report (in English) | report summary in English | en español
| compilation of references: 2022
This eight edition of United Nations Treaty Bodies: References to Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, Gender Expression and Sex Characteristics was published by ILGA World. The report is published under an Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) license.
This report provides an analysis of references to sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics made by nine Treaty Bodies in 2022. An additional compilation of references with keywords is provided, as well as a simplified version of this report for a wider audience.
Author Facundo Sesin
Coordinator and editor Kseniya Kirichenko
Research assistants Andrea Baldwin, Aoife Burke and Aigerim Kamidola
Design and layout Lukas Berredo