Global call for expressions of interest to organise
a thematic pre-conference at the 2024 ILGA World Conference
If your organisation wishes to organise a thematic pre-conference during our 2024 ILGA World Conference, this call is for you!
Follow this link to download the application form, fill it in, and send it by Monday 20 November 2023 to programme @worldconference.ilga.org!
Since the 1970s, ILGA World Conferences have brought together LGBTIQ leaders and activists from all over the world. They have been fundamental events for our movement ever since, and are moments to shape the life of our organisation. ILGA World is queer democracy in action, and it all starts at ILGA World Conferences.
Returning to Africa for the first time in 25 years, the 2024 ILGA World Conference will take place in Cape Town, South Africa, from 11 to 15 November 2024, hosted by Iranti and Gender DynamiX.
The 2024 ILGA World Conference will be held under the theme Kwa umoja we rise! The theme was developed in consultation with local communities and incorporates words from Swahili – the most widely spoken African language known by over 200 million people. “Kwa umoja” is Swahili for “Together” or “In unity”: a powerful call for solidarity within movements (including ours) in times of adversity.
If your organisation wishes to organise a thematic pre-conference, this is for you!
The 2024 ILGA World Conference logo shows the drawing of a baobab tree, with branches and leaves in the colours of a Pride flag. The text reads “ILGA World Conference 2024: Kwa umoja we rise! ¡Kwa umoja nos levantamos!”. Additional text reads: “Call for proposals - Thematic pre-conferences at the 2024 ILGA World Conference"
What are thematic pre-conferences to the ILGA World Conference?
A thematic pre-conference explores a topic relevant to our communities in greater depth. All thematic pre-conferences need to have a global dimension and are ideally organised by a group of cross-regional and cross-LGBTIQ organisations or persons. In the past, these have covered a wide range of issues ranging from sex work to indigenous issues, migration & refugees to workplace rights.
For the 2024 World Conference, the ILGA World Board would like the community to propose thematic pre-conferences that it can review and add to the programme.
Separately, the ILGA World Board Bisexual, Intersex, Trans, Women and Youth Committees organise thematic pre-conferences for the five population groups they serve, and the ILGA World office will organise a pre-conference on UN Advocacy, so pre-conference proposals should not be made on these six topics as these will be handled separately.
- All pre-conferences will take place on either Monday, November 11 or Tuesday, November 12, 2024
- The time allocation for a pre-conference is either 3 or 4.5 hours. In exceptional cases, 6 hours may be granted
- Being awarded a pre-conference means that you will have a conference room given to you to run your pre-conference inside the conference venue. The conference rooms available range in capacity from 50 to 150 persons (theatre style)
- We will have space to accommodate between 4 and 6 pre-conferences selected from this call
- We will give preference to pre-conferences that
- are organised by a group of organisations/persons from different world regions and different population groups
- take an intersectional approach to the topic they explore
- have interactive elements in their programme
- are highly relevant to LGBTI communities globally
- have meaningful youth participation as part of their conception and delivery.
- ILGA World does not have a budget to cover travel costs for pre-conference speakers, moderators, and organisers, or other additional participants
- Pre-conferences take place during the ILGA World conference and use the ILGA World conference venue facilities. They will be open only to people who are registered to attend the ILGA World conference. This includes the organisers and presenters at the pre-conference, who should all be registered to attend the ILGA World conference either as a scholar or paying participant
- Pre-conferences should be open to all conference participants unless there is a well-founded reason to restrict participation (e.g. pre-conferences that serve particular population groups might only be open to the populations they address or serve)
In order to apply for a pre-conference slot, please fill out the application form and send it to programme @worldconference.ilga.org by 20 November 2023.
The ILGA World Office and Board will review your proposal, and successful bidders will be notified by the beginning of 2024.